Finally remembered to do it!!
The Avengers
Pre-Movie Thoughts:
- This will get capslocky. Hell, if you’ve read any of my others (and you should), or you follow me on Twitter, you know I can get a little capslock-happy when I’m excited/outraged/hyper-in-any-way, but this will likely be a capslock overload situation.
- I’m going to seriously overuse the words “love”, “awesome” and “fuck”. Okay?
- This will also be long. Judging by the previous liveblogs I did (5 movies, totalling over 10,500 words), I’m thinking this one will be at least 3k. Buckle in!
Actual-Movie Thoughts:
- THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME. I will likely be repeating that a lot.
- It took me many, many, many watchings to believe that Alexis Denisof is under that mask and behind that voice. I mean, I love the guy, but there is literally nothing identifiable about him in this movie. His voice is altered, his body covered in prosthetics and robes…
- I like the structure of this movie. Particularly the Chitauri guy – his voiceover bits at the beginning and the mid-credits sequence are wonderful. At the beginning, he’s all “Ha, humans suck, they’re all going to burn” and then at the end “Yeah, fucking humans. Can’t be ruled. Damn them.”
- I LOVE that Coulson is the first established character you really see. (That little bit of Loki doesn’t count). He is just the epitome of kick-ass.
- MARIA.
- FURY.
- FURY’S BILLOWY COAT OF PAIN.
- I’m looking forward to the SHIELD TV show simply for lots of scenes where SHIELD agents talk to each other. They have such amazing speech patterns, a strange mix of technical language, politically correct euphemism and kick-ass quips.
- Maria makes me SUPER HAPPY. I love how she can be a bit worried and question Fury’s orders, but at the same time, be a proper HBIC and get the fucking job done. On the side, THIS IS WHY SHE SHOULD END UP WITH STEVE.
- ERIK.
- I love the way Eric talks about the Tesseract.
- CLINT.
- CLINT IS FUCKING CLEVER. AND OBSERVANT. THIS IS WHY LOKI TAKES HIM. BECAUSE HE’S TERRIFYINGLY COMPETENT.
- LOKI!
- Quick mention of the camera work. Whoever the Director of Photography was on this film, I want to marry him/her. The angles are often just simply beautiful. ♥
- I love how fucking terrified Fury looks when Loki turns Clint. Up until then, it was like, “Fine, he’s dangerous, but I’m Nicholas Motherfucking Fury.” and then after, he’s like “SHIT.”
- “An ant has no quarrel with a boot.” “You planning to step on us?” YES, FURY.
- WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN TO STOP MENTIONING THOR IN LOKI’S PRESENCE? IT ONLY LEADS TO BAD THINGS.
- I LOVE THAT CLINT SHOOTS FURY IN THE SHOULDER. No matter what Clint says later, he had a modicum of control when he was possessed, just like Erik. There’s no other way he wouldn’t have killed Fury. (I know it’s a film, but work with me.)
- MARIA, YOU ARE AWESOME. AND I WANT YOU TO GIVE ME DRIVING / SHOOTING LESSONS. (Again, case in point why she SHOULD BE WITH STEVE.)
- The collapse of the base a total example of a JOSS WHEDON YOU FUCKING SELF-PLAGERIST moment. Watch that scene, and then watch the last 10 minutes of the BtVS finale. Practically the same shots, right down to the fleeing truck/bus, and the final satellite/sign falling into the crater. Personally, I think it’s a nice touch, but still…
- The title screen is the only bit where I genuinely completely love the UK title change. Coulson’s line: “What do we do?” and then there’s the swell of music, and us Brits get the title Avengers Assemble. Which, *dies*. ♥
- NATASHA.
- There’s a thing, here, that proves that Natasha is basically the reason for the Avengers assembling. WHICH IS FUCKING AWESOME AND COMPLETELY TRUE.
- Natasha’s “reverse interrogation” thing is basically one of my favourite things ever, and I particularly appreciate them introducing her like this. It’s a very Joss Whedon way of doing it – showing the helpless maiden and then having it all be an act, letting her kick some well-deserved ass before she leaves.
- Special shout-out to the look on her face when Coulson says Barton has been compromised. There is a very obvious and brilliant shift from “I’m trying to do my job, dick” to “Fuck. Time to go.”
- BRUCE.
- Again, I love the way they choose to introduce Bruce. Unlike at the beginning of The Incredible Hulk, he’s not avoiding. He’s working, helping. Which is wonderful.
- I HAVE SO MANY BRUCE & NATASHA FEELINGS. TOO MANY FEELINGS
- “Well I don’t every time get what I want.” *rocks the cradle* BRUCE, WHY MUST YOU DO THAT TO ME?? Apparently that was a Mark Ruffalo improv thing, the cradle rocking, which is one of the many, many, MANY reasons why I’m convinced that the entire cast of this film were not, in fact, actors, but superheroes.
- I love how surprised he is that people want him, not Hulk. BRUCE, I LOVE YOU. ♥
- NATASHA’S REACTION WHEN HE GETS ‘ANGRY’. THAT IS GENUINE, UNADULTERATED FEAR. BY ALL THE GODS. BRUCE/NATASHA FEELINGS.
- “[War] is won by soldiers.” FURY, I LOVE YOU. And that Council are utter dicks. UTTER DICKS.
- STEVE.
- Love the link from “won by soldiers” to Captain America. It’s those little references that just make this movie that one step up from perfect. ♥
- Steve is basically the king of the broken toys at this point, and I completely love him for it. However, I am very unhappy that they cut out all the deleted scenes with him finding out about Peggy and going to the café. Because they do make his character better.
- TONY.
- “Like Christmas, but with more… me.” TONY, I HAVE FUCKING MISSED YOU. YOU SHOULD BE IN ALL THE MOVIES.
(Little warning, I’m less than 20 minutes in, and have already written over 1000 words. I’m sorry in advance.)
- The suit-dismantling-walkway-thing is UTTER GENIUS, and I LOVE IT. ♥
- “12%?” Dude. DUUUUDE.
- I have also missed Pepper. Much as I multi-ship, I will be seriously unhappy if anything ever happens to Tony/Pepper.
- ACTUAL CANON THAT PEPPER AND COULSON ARE FRIENDS.
- Tony’s holographic “homework” screens. *dies*
- RDJ’s face. All the time. ♥
- “I watched you while you were sleeping. Um.. I mean, I was present, while you were unconscious.” COULSON, DON’T EVER CHANGE.
- COULSON FANBOYING STEVE WILL NEVER GET OLD. I love the way he tries to get close to him, and then mirrors his stance. It’s the most ridiculously adorable thing. YOU JUST KNOW COULSON DESIGNED THAT WHOLE OUTFIT. DOWN TO THE INDIVIDUAL STITCHES.
- I don’t like it when Loki gets hurt by the Chitauri. :(
- Again, THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME. (Helicarrier scene!)
- SEE, NATASHA MEETS STEVE, TELLS HIM ABOUT THE TRADING CARDS AND INTRODUCES HIM TO BRUCE.
- FLYING HELICARRIER. WITH AWESOME MUSIC. (I may have squealed at this the first time I saw it in the cinema.)
- MARIA ON THE BRIDGE.
- INVISIBLE FLYING HELICARRIER.
- I love the way Steve quietly slips Fury the tenner. Nicely understated.
- BRUCE BEING AWESOME AND SCIENCY.
- The first thing Natasha does is check to see if they’ve found Clint yet. ♥♥♥
- I love the different effects the Tesseract has on Erik and Clint. Erik gets ultimate knowledge, and Clint gets a target. It’s so perfectly in character. Also, CLINT’S BOW. ♥
- THIS MUSIC IS BRILLIANT, AND NOW I CAN’T HEAR IT WITHOUT THINKING OF LOKI PULLING A GUY’S EYE OUT. (This is not a bad thing.)
- “There are no men like me.” “There are always men like you.” – Dear lord, I love that scene. The old guy is just exactly what you want in a rebel.
- Much as I love the fight between Steve and Loki, it’s Tony’s entrance that really makes this scene. Everything about it, from the music, to the “Mr Stark.” “Captain.” thing is just epically brilliant.
- “Capsicle” ♥
- “Scared of a little lightning?” “I’m not overly fond of what follows.” ♥♥♥
- THOR.
- EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS EXTENDED SCENE, FROM THOR’S ENTRANCE TO THE THOR/LOKI ARGUMENT TO THE THOR/TONY/STEVE STANDOFF IS UTTER PERFECTION. OKAY?
- The Fury/Loki interaction is amazing. The combination of brutal honesty with such genuine humour. It’s wonderful. “Let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something.”
- “An army. From outer space.” I love how severely unimpressed Steve looks at this point. It’s like “Seriously, guys? This is the worst practical joke ever. What the fuck?”
- “He’s my brother.” “He killed 80 people in 2 days.” “He’s adopted.” (giggles) ♥
- TONY / BRUCE 4EVA. SCIENCE BROS FOR THE WIN. ♥♥♥
- “I understood that reference!” Awww, Steve! Bless.
- The bit where Bruce turns down going to Stark Tower, and Tony is all confused, because hey, they were gonna be science bros and everything. :( That is adorable. (“I kinda broke… Harlem.” *laughs*)
- Apparently all the scenes where Tony has food were because RDJ was hungry. Which is another reason why I’m convinced that the entire cast of this film were not, in fact, actors, but superheroes.
- “That’s the guy my dad never shut up about?” Tony, that came off really bitter. Which, yes, okay, but still…
- I love that Tony compares his Arc Reactor to the Hulk. Both things saved their lives from completely and certainly fatal situations, but are severely dangerous and need to be controlled. A really interesting concept, if you think about it.
- GRATUITOUS REFERENCE TO JANE. :D
- SECOND AWESOME NATASHA-REVERSE-INTERROGATION SCENE. This one is particularly impressive and amazing because it’s obvious that everything they both say is completely true. It takes brutal truth to defeat the god of lies. I just love the way they both behave. He’s so cruel to her, and on the face of it, it cuts her right down to the bone. But after all that, as soon as she hears the little piece of information she needs, her entire demeanour changes. She snaps back to her business face, completely unaffected. SO MUCH LOVE. ♥
- “Big man in a suit of armour, take that off and what are you?” “Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist.” “I know guys with none of that worth ten of you.”
Can I just say that it’s beautiful how utterly despondent Tony looks during this scene? It’s my personal canon that Captain America was Tony’s utter hero when he was small. I’m talking like comics and toys and writing letters to Santa begging to bring him back. And then, as Tony got older, and his dad was still looking, and getting more and more bitter, Tony began to hate Captain America. He still loved him, but he resented the hell out of him for being so perfect and then disappearing, and never coming back. But then, when Tony is a grown-up, he becomes a superhero, just like Captain America. And Captain America is found, and he wakes up, and he’s alive. But he doesn’t like Tony. And then, they have an argument, and Captain America tells him off. But he doesn’t just tell him off, he uses every bad thing that Tony thinks about himself. That he’s selfish and conceited and hides in a suit of armour because he’s not strong enough to save people on his own.
And yeah, of course he fights back, says that everything special about Captain America came out of a bottle, because can you imagine how much that hurt?
(I will come back to this at the end.)
- Can I also say how wonderful it is that the second they’re in trouble, they put their differences aside? ♥
- Again, ALL THE BRUCE / NATASHA FEELINGS.
- “Is the sun coming up?” “Yes, sir.” “Then put it on the left!!!” FURY, I LOVE YOU.
- I also have all the Thor / Hulk feelings. I think everyone does though.
- MARIA, YOU ARE AWESOME. AND SHOULD TOTALLY BE WITH STEVE. YOU ARE BASICALLY THE 2012 VERSION OF PEGGY.
- The pilot who shoots at the Hulk is arguably the stupidest person in the whole movie. He draws with the Council of Dicks and the guy who actually fires a nuclear warhead at Manhattan. ;)
- I love the bit where Fury puts out the call for someone to deal with Clint. Natasha is way past the point of fear. She is literally in hiding, trying to recover from arguably the scariest thing she has ever endured, and yet, still, she can do her job. Whether she’d be so eager if it wasn’t Clint who was in trouble is a matter of some discussion, but still. THAT IS A CONSUMATE PROFESSIONAL, PEOPLE.
- The juxtaposition of Steve and Tony working together, Clint and Natasha fighting, and Loki interacting with Thor and Coulson, is just a magnificent feat of editing. Three incredibly highly charged and emotional scenes, and the filmmakers manage not only to balance them, but to give each the screen time and emotion they deserve. I mean, of all the scenes, I would argue that those five or six minutes are the real turning point of the movie. Without that, the scenes following couldn’t possibly be the catalyst that they are.
- COULSON. *cries* *cries all the tears*
- I WILL NEVER FORGIVE FURY FOR WHAT HE DOES TO THOSE CARDS. I shouldn’t imagine Coulson will either. (#coulsonlives)
- I never noticed this before, but it’s only when Fury mentions “heroes” that Tony bolts. That’s a really nice little touch of character recognition.
- I LOVE BRUCE’S SCENE WITH THE JANITOR. Harry Dean Stanton is fucking awesome. :D
- Ooh, the colouring on the Clint levelling out scene. Pretty…
- “Have you ever had someone take your brain and play? Pull you out and stuff something else in? Do you know what it’s like to be unmade?” “You know that I do.” RIGHT THERE, THAT’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CLINT AND NATASHA’S HISTORY. JUST THERE. In fact, this whole scene is so much more telling about their relationship than it seems to be. THEY ARE AMAZING TOGETHER.
- So many people have taken Natasha’s “I’ve been compromised” thing to mean “I’m in love with Clint”, but I don’t think that’s what she meant. I do think it’s as simple as “Loki knows an awful lot about me now, mostly down to you, which isn’t exactly your fault, but still, we need to wipe him out immediately.” It just seems more likely for their relationship. If she is in love with Clint, which I mostly don’t doubt, that’s not the most important thing right now. The important thing is that he knows her better than pretty much anyone (with the possible and probable exception of Coulson – who she now believes to be dead). For a spy, that personal information is more dangerous than just about anything. She needs to destroy Loki, both for having that knowledge, and for the invasion of Clint’s brain that meant he could take it.
- I love that that scene is followed by the next one, where you see just about everything you need to know about why Tony and Steve cannot (at this point) really connect. They have such incredibly opposite mind-sets. Steve is all about orders and sacrifices and going in alone because it’s the noble thing to do. Tony is all about initiative and innovation and being surrounded by backup because it’s not safe to be alone.
In particular, I love Tony’s expression at the line “We are not soldiers.” He’s not just outraged at the idea of being a soldier, he’s outraged because that WASN’T THE POINT. He didn’t lose a soldier. He lost a friend. Tony doesn’t have many friends. The majority of the people in his life have screwed him over, but Coulson never did. And Pepper liked him, which is incredibly important to Tony. So when Steve suggests that Coulson was an acceptable loss (even if he didn’t mean it that way), Tony is infuriated.
- And the third scene in the triquetra of awesomeness, Steve and Natasha and Clint. Steve goes straight to Natasha’s room and asks her if she can fly a jet. Clint opens the door and says he can. Steve looks at Natasha, she nods. And just like that, Steve trusts Clint.
Steve is a soldier, but he must have trust issues out the wazoo, especially after waking up in the 21st Century. He fell asleep, and when he came back, everyone he knew was gone. The world had turned upside down, he’d gone from being a one-of-a-kind Super Soldier to the first in a long line of (mostly failed) experiments in creating Superheroes. His only visible ally at this point is Fury, who taunts him openly about “getting back into the world”, so we know he’s not the type to take things at face value. And yet… And yet, all Natasha needs to do is nod, just once, and he’s putting his life, and the lives of the rest of the world (potentially) in the hands of a man who attacked the helicarrier, killed an unknown number of agents, and, until maybe a couple of hours previously, had been hell-bent on serving the enemy they’re about to fight.
Steve cannot have known Natasha for more than 24 hours at this point (possibly a lot less, the chronology isn’t clear in the movie, but they were definitely introduced for the first time when Steve landed on the helicarrier with Coulson), and already he trusts her explicitly.
- AND JUST LIKE THAT, WE HAVE AVENGERS. ACTUAL, ASS-KICKING, LOKI-FIGHTING AVENGERS.
- The Loki / Tony scene is just an amazing feat of writing and acting. I am horrifically impressed with all involved, and frankly, if anyone ever needed a reference for how awesome either RDJ or Tom Hiddleston is, they can just watch this scene. It’s that good.
- NOTICE HOW, IN THE RUNDOWN OF HEROES, TONY NEVER MENTIONS HIMSELF. THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES. LIKE, OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY VOLUMES.
- “If we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we avenge it.” “His name was Phil.” Tony? ♥
(Um, so I’m 105 minutes and 3k in, and the Chitauri have just broken through, again, sorry. So sorry.)
- BETH. BETH THE WAITRESS. THIS IS WHY THOSE DELETED STEVE SCENES NEEDED TO BE IN THE FINAL CUT. BECAUSE OTHERWISE, IT’S JUST CONFUSING.
- Again, whoever was in charge of filming this thing – I will marry you. Because the composition of these battle scenes are just too damn beautiful.
- ARMOURED TORTOISE WHALE THINGIES!!!!!! (I want one.)
- Loki severely confuses me in these scenes. I see two readings. One, he really does realise he’s out of his freaking depth, but is determined to make the best of things. Two, he’s enjoying the chaos and mayhem that he’s created, and genuinely doesn’t care/understand he’s not even vaguely in control, because, hey, yay chaos! I’m not sure which they were going for, and I don’t know which one I’d prefer. Does it matter?
- “Captain, it would be my genuine pleasure.” – CLINT, WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN HOT? It’s not fair.
- “Just like Budapest all over again.” “You and I remember Budapest very differently.” – Of all the lines in the entire film, I swear that exchange has spawned the MOST fics / meta / rambly explanations. For my favourite – see Gyzym’s We Are Emergencies.
- SURPRISE ENVER GJOKAJ. :)
- I love that Natasha pinches one of the Chitauri energy weapons to use against them. SHE IS AWESOME.
- BRUCE IS HERE. :D More awesome Bruce / Natasha feelings!
- “I don’t see how that’s a party.” – Damn, Natasha, stop being so awesome.
- “That’s my secret, Captain. I’m always angry.” BOO YAH, BRUCE. BOO MOTHERFUCKING YAH.
- AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. FOR THE FIRST TIME. ALL SIX. *grins face off*
- “Call it, Captain.” OMG, okay, I totally love that line, because I feel it shows an extra bit of character development for Tony. It’s a total call-back to both the “Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist” scene and the “We’re Not Soldiers” scene. Tony is effectively admitting that, yes, they do need to behave like soldiers, at least a little bit. He’s also giving control of the Avengers to Steve. This is extra important because it would have been completely legitimate for Tony to claim that control. He was first on the scene, it’s his tower that Loki is attacking, and he arguably knows the most about the tech being used. But instead, he realises that Steve is the better commander. He’s not being selfish. He’s actively showing Steve that he’s more concerned with the greater good than himself.
(Might be reading too much into that, but still. OH.)
- CLINT, WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD WITH ARROWS? IT’S FRANKLY A LITTLEAROUSING DISTURBING.
- NATASHA, SAME GOES FOR YOU, SUBSTITUTING YOURSELF INSTEAD OF ARROWS.
- Oh fuck, I love this long shot. It goes from Natasha on her Chitauri, via Tony, to Tony and Steve fighting together, then up to Clint on the roof, then across to the Hulk and Thor fighting, and finally bringing down an Armoured Tortoise Whale.
- HULK PUNCHING THOR WILL NEVER NOT BE FUNNY.
- Erik is awake!!! :D
- Again, this scene in the bank? Station? Whatever, the scene with Steve and Beth. IT WOULD MAKE A LOT MORE SENSE IF YOU KNEW WHY BETH WAS IMPORTANT. AND WHY HER SEEING CAP WITHOUT HIS COWL WAS A BIG DEAL.
- “I recognise that the council has made a decision. But as it’s a stupid-ass decision, I have elected to ignore it.” DAMN, FURY. YOU TELL THEM.
- LOKI, YOUR OWN ARROGANCE WAS YOUR DOWNFALL THERE. SO MUCH LOVE.
- HULK AND LOKI. Seriously, THAT WILL NEVER STOP BEING AWESOME AND HILARIOUS. “Puny god.”
- See, Erik had a modicum of control. He built in the failsafe. Which means that my theory that Clint purposefully didn’t kill Fury even though he was under Loki’s control is totally canon.
- “Jarvis, you ever hear the story of Jonah?” “I wouldn’t consider him a role model.” JARVIS, THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU.
- LOOK IN THE BACKGROUND WHEN TONY FALLS. THERE IS A SCHWARMA PLACE.
- CLINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- HULK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Fury with a MOTHERFUCKING BAZOOKA. YES. DAMN. Massive pity it was a decoy. :(
- THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME.
- The sacrifice play with the missile is one of my favourite moments in this entire movie. He tries to call Pepper, but she’s too distracted by the news. Everyone is watching with bated breath, seeing if he will succeed. He watches as the missile destroys the ship, and only then, allows himself to pass out and fall back to Earth. It’s the most amazing moment of strength, and proves my earlier point that Tony is totally the type to make a sacrifice play. It’s just that he won’t make that play unless it is literally the only option.
(Also, I LOVE that the Hulk saves him. HULK LOVES TONY.)
- Okay, apparently the whole little bit of dialogue with Tony and the schwarma was improv’d by RDJ. Which, ok. That’s awesome.
- “If it’s all the same to you, I’ll take that drink now.” LOKI, WHY MUST YOU BE SO AWESOME.
- The news reports are brilliant. I’m really, really hoping that this sort of thing is continued. So many conflicting opinions. Also, STAN LEE ALERT.
- SURPRISE BETH THE WAITRESS. AGAIN, THAT WOULD MAKE A LOT MORE SENSE IF WE KNEW WHY SHE WAS IMPORTANT.
- “That’s not your call.” “I didn’t make it, I just didn’t argue with the god that did.” Again, FURY, YOU ROCK. Council of Dicks, not so much.
- I desperately want to know what Natasha whispered to Clint to make him grin like that.
- Okay, and so, Bruce and Tony leave together – YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCIENCE BROS 4EVA. Clint and Natasha leave together – YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Steve leaves by himself. (Boo, but I have personal canon that he is off to see Peggy. Because she is totally alive, in the SCENE THEY CUT.)
- MARIA, YOU ARE AWESOME.
- TONY IS BUILDING THE AVENGER’S TOWER. HE HAS FLOOR PLANS AND EVERYTHING. (AND A PEPPER.)
- THE “A” ON THE TOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Best credits sequence ever. Seriously. I love that each of the main cast has their “actor’s” name on the appropriate bit of kit. RDJ’s helmet, Chris Evans’ star, Mark Ruffalo’s glasses, Chris Hemsworth’s hammer, Scarlet Johansson’s Widow’s Bites, and Jeremy Renner’s quiver. I also love that Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg and Cobie Smulders get linked to Clint. (Which I am going to read too much into, okay). Stellan Skarsgaard gets his name on Thor’s armour, which again, interesting choice! Samuel L. Jackson’s name, is of course, overlaid onto a gun, because it couldn’t be anything else, could it?
- THE MID-CREDITS SEQUENCE – As I said before, nice symmetry! “They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court death.” And then THANOS. Which promises an AWESOME Avengers 2
- Rest of Credits – I LOVE THIS SONG. “Live to Rise” – Soundgarden. Again, THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME.
- Okay, as I’m watching the UK version, there isn’t the schwarma post-credits scene, but I have seen it, and I do love it. The little details, like Clint’s leg up on Natasha’s chair, and all of them being half-collapsed over their food… It’s just brilliant.
(However, still quite bitter we didn’t get it. WHY, AMERICA, WHY??)
Post-Movie thoughts:
- Well, I’ve said pretty much all I wanted to say. Mostly, the cast is awesome, the writing is awesome, the direction is awesome, the filming is awesome, the music is awesome, the editing is awesome. Everything about this film makes me want to squeal and use the caps lock button and force unsuspecting people to watch it, like my best friend and my mother (neither of whom like sci-fi or superhero movies, the utter weirdoes.)
- Other than that, I’m pretty sure this is about the 20th time I’ve seen this movie (impressive for me as it’s been out for LESS THAN 9 MONTHS.) and it still makes me smile and laugh and cry and jump and want to shove it in people’s faces. Which is about the most praise I can personally have for a film.
- Also, it is now only 68 days till Iron Man 3, which gives me ALL THE FEELINGS. Okay?
Post-script:
OMG, I AM WATCHING THIS ON SKY MOVIES, AND WE DO HAVE THE SCHWARMA SCENE. IT’S ACTUALLY THERE. IT’S NOT ON THE FUCKING DVD, BUT IT IS ON MY TELEVISION. YAY!!!!!!!
The Avengers
Pre-Movie Thoughts:
- This will get capslocky. Hell, if you’ve read any of my others (and you should), or you follow me on Twitter, you know I can get a little capslock-happy when I’m excited/outraged/hyper-in-any-way, but this will likely be a capslock overload situation.
- I’m going to seriously overuse the words “love”, “awesome” and “fuck”. Okay?
- This will also be long. Judging by the previous liveblogs I did (5 movies, totalling over 10,500 words), I’m thinking this one will be at least 3k. Buckle in!
Actual-Movie Thoughts:
- THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME. I will likely be repeating that a lot.
- It took me many, many, many watchings to believe that Alexis Denisof is under that mask and behind that voice. I mean, I love the guy, but there is literally nothing identifiable about him in this movie. His voice is altered, his body covered in prosthetics and robes…
- I like the structure of this movie. Particularly the Chitauri guy – his voiceover bits at the beginning and the mid-credits sequence are wonderful. At the beginning, he’s all “Ha, humans suck, they’re all going to burn” and then at the end “Yeah, fucking humans. Can’t be ruled. Damn them.”
- I LOVE that Coulson is the first established character you really see. (That little bit of Loki doesn’t count). He is just the epitome of kick-ass.
- MARIA.
- FURY.
- FURY’S BILLOWY COAT OF PAIN.
- I’m looking forward to the SHIELD TV show simply for lots of scenes where SHIELD agents talk to each other. They have such amazing speech patterns, a strange mix of technical language, politically correct euphemism and kick-ass quips.
- Maria makes me SUPER HAPPY. I love how she can be a bit worried and question Fury’s orders, but at the same time, be a proper HBIC and get the fucking job done. On the side, THIS IS WHY SHE SHOULD END UP WITH STEVE.
- ERIK.
- I love the way Eric talks about the Tesseract.
- CLINT.
- CLINT IS FUCKING CLEVER. AND OBSERVANT. THIS IS WHY LOKI TAKES HIM. BECAUSE HE’S TERRIFYINGLY COMPETENT.
- LOKI!
- Quick mention of the camera work. Whoever the Director of Photography was on this film, I want to marry him/her. The angles are often just simply beautiful. ♥
- I love how fucking terrified Fury looks when Loki turns Clint. Up until then, it was like, “Fine, he’s dangerous, but I’m Nicholas Motherfucking Fury.” and then after, he’s like “SHIT.”
- “An ant has no quarrel with a boot.” “You planning to step on us?” YES, FURY.
- WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN TO STOP MENTIONING THOR IN LOKI’S PRESENCE? IT ONLY LEADS TO BAD THINGS.
- I LOVE THAT CLINT SHOOTS FURY IN THE SHOULDER. No matter what Clint says later, he had a modicum of control when he was possessed, just like Erik. There’s no other way he wouldn’t have killed Fury. (I know it’s a film, but work with me.)
- MARIA, YOU ARE AWESOME. AND I WANT YOU TO GIVE ME DRIVING / SHOOTING LESSONS. (Again, case in point why she SHOULD BE WITH STEVE.)
- The collapse of the base a total example of a JOSS WHEDON YOU FUCKING SELF-PLAGERIST moment. Watch that scene, and then watch the last 10 minutes of the BtVS finale. Practically the same shots, right down to the fleeing truck/bus, and the final satellite/sign falling into the crater. Personally, I think it’s a nice touch, but still…
- The title screen is the only bit where I genuinely completely love the UK title change. Coulson’s line: “What do we do?” and then there’s the swell of music, and us Brits get the title Avengers Assemble. Which, *dies*. ♥
- NATASHA.
- There’s a thing, here, that proves that Natasha is basically the reason for the Avengers assembling. WHICH IS FUCKING AWESOME AND COMPLETELY TRUE.
- Natasha’s “reverse interrogation” thing is basically one of my favourite things ever, and I particularly appreciate them introducing her like this. It’s a very Joss Whedon way of doing it – showing the helpless maiden and then having it all be an act, letting her kick some well-deserved ass before she leaves.
- Special shout-out to the look on her face when Coulson says Barton has been compromised. There is a very obvious and brilliant shift from “I’m trying to do my job, dick” to “Fuck. Time to go.”
- BRUCE.
- Again, I love the way they choose to introduce Bruce. Unlike at the beginning of The Incredible Hulk, he’s not avoiding. He’s working, helping. Which is wonderful.
- I HAVE SO MANY BRUCE & NATASHA FEELINGS. TOO MANY FEELINGS
- “Well I don’t every time get what I want.” *rocks the cradle* BRUCE, WHY MUST YOU DO THAT TO ME?? Apparently that was a Mark Ruffalo improv thing, the cradle rocking, which is one of the many, many, MANY reasons why I’m convinced that the entire cast of this film were not, in fact, actors, but superheroes.
- I love how surprised he is that people want him, not Hulk. BRUCE, I LOVE YOU. ♥
- NATASHA’S REACTION WHEN HE GETS ‘ANGRY’. THAT IS GENUINE, UNADULTERATED FEAR. BY ALL THE GODS. BRUCE/NATASHA FEELINGS.
- “[War] is won by soldiers.” FURY, I LOVE YOU. And that Council are utter dicks. UTTER DICKS.
- STEVE.
- Love the link from “won by soldiers” to Captain America. It’s those little references that just make this movie that one step up from perfect. ♥
- Steve is basically the king of the broken toys at this point, and I completely love him for it. However, I am very unhappy that they cut out all the deleted scenes with him finding out about Peggy and going to the café. Because they do make his character better.
- TONY.
- “Like Christmas, but with more… me.” TONY, I HAVE FUCKING MISSED YOU. YOU SHOULD BE IN ALL THE MOVIES.
(Little warning, I’m less than 20 minutes in, and have already written over 1000 words. I’m sorry in advance.)
- The suit-dismantling-walkway-thing is UTTER GENIUS, and I LOVE IT. ♥
- “12%?” Dude. DUUUUDE.
- I have also missed Pepper. Much as I multi-ship, I will be seriously unhappy if anything ever happens to Tony/Pepper.
- ACTUAL CANON THAT PEPPER AND COULSON ARE FRIENDS.
- Tony’s holographic “homework” screens. *dies*
- RDJ’s face. All the time. ♥
- “I watched you while you were sleeping. Um.. I mean, I was present, while you were unconscious.” COULSON, DON’T EVER CHANGE.
- COULSON FANBOYING STEVE WILL NEVER GET OLD. I love the way he tries to get close to him, and then mirrors his stance. It’s the most ridiculously adorable thing. YOU JUST KNOW COULSON DESIGNED THAT WHOLE OUTFIT. DOWN TO THE INDIVIDUAL STITCHES.
- I don’t like it when Loki gets hurt by the Chitauri. :(
- Again, THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME. (Helicarrier scene!)
- SEE, NATASHA MEETS STEVE, TELLS HIM ABOUT THE TRADING CARDS AND INTRODUCES HIM TO BRUCE.
- FLYING HELICARRIER. WITH AWESOME MUSIC. (I may have squealed at this the first time I saw it in the cinema.)
- MARIA ON THE BRIDGE.
- INVISIBLE FLYING HELICARRIER.
- I love the way Steve quietly slips Fury the tenner. Nicely understated.
- BRUCE BEING AWESOME AND SCIENCY.
- The first thing Natasha does is check to see if they’ve found Clint yet. ♥♥♥
- I love the different effects the Tesseract has on Erik and Clint. Erik gets ultimate knowledge, and Clint gets a target. It’s so perfectly in character. Also, CLINT’S BOW. ♥
- THIS MUSIC IS BRILLIANT, AND NOW I CAN’T HEAR IT WITHOUT THINKING OF LOKI PULLING A GUY’S EYE OUT. (This is not a bad thing.)
- “There are no men like me.” “There are always men like you.” – Dear lord, I love that scene. The old guy is just exactly what you want in a rebel.
- Much as I love the fight between Steve and Loki, it’s Tony’s entrance that really makes this scene. Everything about it, from the music, to the “Mr Stark.” “Captain.” thing is just epically brilliant.
- “Capsicle” ♥
- “Scared of a little lightning?” “I’m not overly fond of what follows.” ♥♥♥
- THOR.
- EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS EXTENDED SCENE, FROM THOR’S ENTRANCE TO THE THOR/LOKI ARGUMENT TO THE THOR/TONY/STEVE STANDOFF IS UTTER PERFECTION. OKAY?
- The Fury/Loki interaction is amazing. The combination of brutal honesty with such genuine humour. It’s wonderful. “Let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something.”
- “An army. From outer space.” I love how severely unimpressed Steve looks at this point. It’s like “Seriously, guys? This is the worst practical joke ever. What the fuck?”
- “He’s my brother.” “He killed 80 people in 2 days.” “He’s adopted.” (giggles) ♥
- TONY / BRUCE 4EVA. SCIENCE BROS FOR THE WIN. ♥♥♥
- “I understood that reference!” Awww, Steve! Bless.
- The bit where Bruce turns down going to Stark Tower, and Tony is all confused, because hey, they were gonna be science bros and everything. :( That is adorable. (“I kinda broke… Harlem.” *laughs*)
- Apparently all the scenes where Tony has food were because RDJ was hungry. Which is another reason why I’m convinced that the entire cast of this film were not, in fact, actors, but superheroes.
- “That’s the guy my dad never shut up about?” Tony, that came off really bitter. Which, yes, okay, but still…
- I love that Tony compares his Arc Reactor to the Hulk. Both things saved their lives from completely and certainly fatal situations, but are severely dangerous and need to be controlled. A really interesting concept, if you think about it.
- GRATUITOUS REFERENCE TO JANE. :D
- SECOND AWESOME NATASHA-REVERSE-INTERROGATION SCENE. This one is particularly impressive and amazing because it’s obvious that everything they both say is completely true. It takes brutal truth to defeat the god of lies. I just love the way they both behave. He’s so cruel to her, and on the face of it, it cuts her right down to the bone. But after all that, as soon as she hears the little piece of information she needs, her entire demeanour changes. She snaps back to her business face, completely unaffected. SO MUCH LOVE. ♥
- “Big man in a suit of armour, take that off and what are you?” “Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist.” “I know guys with none of that worth ten of you.”
Can I just say that it’s beautiful how utterly despondent Tony looks during this scene? It’s my personal canon that Captain America was Tony’s utter hero when he was small. I’m talking like comics and toys and writing letters to Santa begging to bring him back. And then, as Tony got older, and his dad was still looking, and getting more and more bitter, Tony began to hate Captain America. He still loved him, but he resented the hell out of him for being so perfect and then disappearing, and never coming back. But then, when Tony is a grown-up, he becomes a superhero, just like Captain America. And Captain America is found, and he wakes up, and he’s alive. But he doesn’t like Tony. And then, they have an argument, and Captain America tells him off. But he doesn’t just tell him off, he uses every bad thing that Tony thinks about himself. That he’s selfish and conceited and hides in a suit of armour because he’s not strong enough to save people on his own.
And yeah, of course he fights back, says that everything special about Captain America came out of a bottle, because can you imagine how much that hurt?
(I will come back to this at the end.)
- Can I also say how wonderful it is that the second they’re in trouble, they put their differences aside? ♥
- Again, ALL THE BRUCE / NATASHA FEELINGS.
- “Is the sun coming up?” “Yes, sir.” “Then put it on the left!!!” FURY, I LOVE YOU.
- I also have all the Thor / Hulk feelings. I think everyone does though.
- MARIA, YOU ARE AWESOME. AND SHOULD TOTALLY BE WITH STEVE. YOU ARE BASICALLY THE 2012 VERSION OF PEGGY.
- The pilot who shoots at the Hulk is arguably the stupidest person in the whole movie. He draws with the Council of Dicks and the guy who actually fires a nuclear warhead at Manhattan. ;)
- I love the bit where Fury puts out the call for someone to deal with Clint. Natasha is way past the point of fear. She is literally in hiding, trying to recover from arguably the scariest thing she has ever endured, and yet, still, she can do her job. Whether she’d be so eager if it wasn’t Clint who was in trouble is a matter of some discussion, but still. THAT IS A CONSUMATE PROFESSIONAL, PEOPLE.
- The juxtaposition of Steve and Tony working together, Clint and Natasha fighting, and Loki interacting with Thor and Coulson, is just a magnificent feat of editing. Three incredibly highly charged and emotional scenes, and the filmmakers manage not only to balance them, but to give each the screen time and emotion they deserve. I mean, of all the scenes, I would argue that those five or six minutes are the real turning point of the movie. Without that, the scenes following couldn’t possibly be the catalyst that they are.
- COULSON. *cries* *cries all the tears*
- I WILL NEVER FORGIVE FURY FOR WHAT HE DOES TO THOSE CARDS. I shouldn’t imagine Coulson will either. (#coulsonlives)
- I never noticed this before, but it’s only when Fury mentions “heroes” that Tony bolts. That’s a really nice little touch of character recognition.
- I LOVE BRUCE’S SCENE WITH THE JANITOR. Harry Dean Stanton is fucking awesome. :D
- Ooh, the colouring on the Clint levelling out scene. Pretty…
- “Have you ever had someone take your brain and play? Pull you out and stuff something else in? Do you know what it’s like to be unmade?” “You know that I do.” RIGHT THERE, THAT’S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CLINT AND NATASHA’S HISTORY. JUST THERE. In fact, this whole scene is so much more telling about their relationship than it seems to be. THEY ARE AMAZING TOGETHER.
- So many people have taken Natasha’s “I’ve been compromised” thing to mean “I’m in love with Clint”, but I don’t think that’s what she meant. I do think it’s as simple as “Loki knows an awful lot about me now, mostly down to you, which isn’t exactly your fault, but still, we need to wipe him out immediately.” It just seems more likely for their relationship. If she is in love with Clint, which I mostly don’t doubt, that’s not the most important thing right now. The important thing is that he knows her better than pretty much anyone (with the possible and probable exception of Coulson – who she now believes to be dead). For a spy, that personal information is more dangerous than just about anything. She needs to destroy Loki, both for having that knowledge, and for the invasion of Clint’s brain that meant he could take it.
- I love that that scene is followed by the next one, where you see just about everything you need to know about why Tony and Steve cannot (at this point) really connect. They have such incredibly opposite mind-sets. Steve is all about orders and sacrifices and going in alone because it’s the noble thing to do. Tony is all about initiative and innovation and being surrounded by backup because it’s not safe to be alone.
In particular, I love Tony’s expression at the line “We are not soldiers.” He’s not just outraged at the idea of being a soldier, he’s outraged because that WASN’T THE POINT. He didn’t lose a soldier. He lost a friend. Tony doesn’t have many friends. The majority of the people in his life have screwed him over, but Coulson never did. And Pepper liked him, which is incredibly important to Tony. So when Steve suggests that Coulson was an acceptable loss (even if he didn’t mean it that way), Tony is infuriated.
- And the third scene in the triquetra of awesomeness, Steve and Natasha and Clint. Steve goes straight to Natasha’s room and asks her if she can fly a jet. Clint opens the door and says he can. Steve looks at Natasha, she nods. And just like that, Steve trusts Clint.
Steve is a soldier, but he must have trust issues out the wazoo, especially after waking up in the 21st Century. He fell asleep, and when he came back, everyone he knew was gone. The world had turned upside down, he’d gone from being a one-of-a-kind Super Soldier to the first in a long line of (mostly failed) experiments in creating Superheroes. His only visible ally at this point is Fury, who taunts him openly about “getting back into the world”, so we know he’s not the type to take things at face value. And yet… And yet, all Natasha needs to do is nod, just once, and he’s putting his life, and the lives of the rest of the world (potentially) in the hands of a man who attacked the helicarrier, killed an unknown number of agents, and, until maybe a couple of hours previously, had been hell-bent on serving the enemy they’re about to fight.
Steve cannot have known Natasha for more than 24 hours at this point (possibly a lot less, the chronology isn’t clear in the movie, but they were definitely introduced for the first time when Steve landed on the helicarrier with Coulson), and already he trusts her explicitly.
- AND JUST LIKE THAT, WE HAVE AVENGERS. ACTUAL, ASS-KICKING, LOKI-FIGHTING AVENGERS.
- The Loki / Tony scene is just an amazing feat of writing and acting. I am horrifically impressed with all involved, and frankly, if anyone ever needed a reference for how awesome either RDJ or Tom Hiddleston is, they can just watch this scene. It’s that good.
- NOTICE HOW, IN THE RUNDOWN OF HEROES, TONY NEVER MENTIONS HIMSELF. THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES. LIKE, OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY VOLUMES.
- “If we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we avenge it.” “His name was Phil.” Tony? ♥
(Um, so I’m 105 minutes and 3k in, and the Chitauri have just broken through, again, sorry. So sorry.)
- BETH. BETH THE WAITRESS. THIS IS WHY THOSE DELETED STEVE SCENES NEEDED TO BE IN THE FINAL CUT. BECAUSE OTHERWISE, IT’S JUST CONFUSING.
- Again, whoever was in charge of filming this thing – I will marry you. Because the composition of these battle scenes are just too damn beautiful.
- ARMOURED TORTOISE WHALE THINGIES!!!!!! (I want one.)
- Loki severely confuses me in these scenes. I see two readings. One, he really does realise he’s out of his freaking depth, but is determined to make the best of things. Two, he’s enjoying the chaos and mayhem that he’s created, and genuinely doesn’t care/understand he’s not even vaguely in control, because, hey, yay chaos! I’m not sure which they were going for, and I don’t know which one I’d prefer. Does it matter?
- “Captain, it would be my genuine pleasure.” – CLINT, WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN HOT? It’s not fair.
- “Just like Budapest all over again.” “You and I remember Budapest very differently.” – Of all the lines in the entire film, I swear that exchange has spawned the MOST fics / meta / rambly explanations. For my favourite – see Gyzym’s We Are Emergencies.
- SURPRISE ENVER GJOKAJ. :)
- I love that Natasha pinches one of the Chitauri energy weapons to use against them. SHE IS AWESOME.
- BRUCE IS HERE. :D More awesome Bruce / Natasha feelings!
- “I don’t see how that’s a party.” – Damn, Natasha, stop being so awesome.
- “That’s my secret, Captain. I’m always angry.” BOO YAH, BRUCE. BOO MOTHERFUCKING YAH.
- AVENGERS ASSEMBLE. FOR THE FIRST TIME. ALL SIX. *grins face off*
- “Call it, Captain.” OMG, okay, I totally love that line, because I feel it shows an extra bit of character development for Tony. It’s a total call-back to both the “Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist” scene and the “We’re Not Soldiers” scene. Tony is effectively admitting that, yes, they do need to behave like soldiers, at least a little bit. He’s also giving control of the Avengers to Steve. This is extra important because it would have been completely legitimate for Tony to claim that control. He was first on the scene, it’s his tower that Loki is attacking, and he arguably knows the most about the tech being used. But instead, he realises that Steve is the better commander. He’s not being selfish. He’s actively showing Steve that he’s more concerned with the greater good than himself.
(Might be reading too much into that, but still. OH.)
- CLINT, WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD WITH ARROWS? IT’S FRANKLY A LITTLE
- NATASHA, SAME GOES FOR YOU, SUBSTITUTING YOURSELF INSTEAD OF ARROWS.
- Oh fuck, I love this long shot. It goes from Natasha on her Chitauri, via Tony, to Tony and Steve fighting together, then up to Clint on the roof, then across to the Hulk and Thor fighting, and finally bringing down an Armoured Tortoise Whale.
- HULK PUNCHING THOR WILL NEVER NOT BE FUNNY.
- Erik is awake!!! :D
- Again, this scene in the bank? Station? Whatever, the scene with Steve and Beth. IT WOULD MAKE A LOT MORE SENSE IF YOU KNEW WHY BETH WAS IMPORTANT. AND WHY HER SEEING CAP WITHOUT HIS COWL WAS A BIG DEAL.
- “I recognise that the council has made a decision. But as it’s a stupid-ass decision, I have elected to ignore it.” DAMN, FURY. YOU TELL THEM.
- LOKI, YOUR OWN ARROGANCE WAS YOUR DOWNFALL THERE. SO MUCH LOVE.
- HULK AND LOKI. Seriously, THAT WILL NEVER STOP BEING AWESOME AND HILARIOUS. “Puny god.”
- See, Erik had a modicum of control. He built in the failsafe. Which means that my theory that Clint purposefully didn’t kill Fury even though he was under Loki’s control is totally canon.
- “Jarvis, you ever hear the story of Jonah?” “I wouldn’t consider him a role model.” JARVIS, THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU.
- LOOK IN THE BACKGROUND WHEN TONY FALLS. THERE IS A SCHWARMA PLACE.
- CLINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- HULK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Fury with a MOTHERFUCKING BAZOOKA. YES. DAMN. Massive pity it was a decoy. :(
- THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME.
- The sacrifice play with the missile is one of my favourite moments in this entire movie. He tries to call Pepper, but she’s too distracted by the news. Everyone is watching with bated breath, seeing if he will succeed. He watches as the missile destroys the ship, and only then, allows himself to pass out and fall back to Earth. It’s the most amazing moment of strength, and proves my earlier point that Tony is totally the type to make a sacrifice play. It’s just that he won’t make that play unless it is literally the only option.
(Also, I LOVE that the Hulk saves him. HULK LOVES TONY.)
- Okay, apparently the whole little bit of dialogue with Tony and the schwarma was improv’d by RDJ. Which, ok. That’s awesome.
- “If it’s all the same to you, I’ll take that drink now.” LOKI, WHY MUST YOU BE SO AWESOME.
- The news reports are brilliant. I’m really, really hoping that this sort of thing is continued. So many conflicting opinions. Also, STAN LEE ALERT.
- SURPRISE BETH THE WAITRESS. AGAIN, THAT WOULD MAKE A LOT MORE SENSE IF WE KNEW WHY SHE WAS IMPORTANT.
- “That’s not your call.” “I didn’t make it, I just didn’t argue with the god that did.” Again, FURY, YOU ROCK. Council of Dicks, not so much.
- I desperately want to know what Natasha whispered to Clint to make him grin like that.
- Okay, and so, Bruce and Tony leave together – YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCIENCE BROS 4EVA. Clint and Natasha leave together – YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Steve leaves by himself. (Boo, but I have personal canon that he is off to see Peggy. Because she is totally alive, in the SCENE THEY CUT.)
- MARIA, YOU ARE AWESOME.
- TONY IS BUILDING THE AVENGER’S TOWER. HE HAS FLOOR PLANS AND EVERYTHING. (AND A PEPPER.)
- THE “A” ON THE TOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Best credits sequence ever. Seriously. I love that each of the main cast has their “actor’s” name on the appropriate bit of kit. RDJ’s helmet, Chris Evans’ star, Mark Ruffalo’s glasses, Chris Hemsworth’s hammer, Scarlet Johansson’s Widow’s Bites, and Jeremy Renner’s quiver. I also love that Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg and Cobie Smulders get linked to Clint. (Which I am going to read too much into, okay). Stellan Skarsgaard gets his name on Thor’s armour, which again, interesting choice! Samuel L. Jackson’s name, is of course, overlaid onto a gun, because it couldn’t be anything else, could it?
- THE MID-CREDITS SEQUENCE – As I said before, nice symmetry! “They are unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled. To challenge them is to court death.” And then THANOS. Which promises an AWESOME Avengers 2
- Rest of Credits – I LOVE THIS SONG. “Live to Rise” – Soundgarden. Again, THE MUSIC IN THIS FILM IS FUCKING AWESOME.
- Okay, as I’m watching the UK version, there isn’t the schwarma post-credits scene, but I have seen it, and I do love it. The little details, like Clint’s leg up on Natasha’s chair, and all of them being half-collapsed over their food… It’s just brilliant.
(However, still quite bitter we didn’t get it. WHY, AMERICA, WHY??)
Post-Movie thoughts:
- Well, I’ve said pretty much all I wanted to say. Mostly, the cast is awesome, the writing is awesome, the direction is awesome, the filming is awesome, the music is awesome, the editing is awesome. Everything about this film makes me want to squeal and use the caps lock button and force unsuspecting people to watch it, like my best friend and my mother (neither of whom like sci-fi or superhero movies, the utter weirdoes.)
- Other than that, I’m pretty sure this is about the 20th time I’ve seen this movie (impressive for me as it’s been out for LESS THAN 9 MONTHS.) and it still makes me smile and laugh and cry and jump and want to shove it in people’s faces. Which is about the most praise I can personally have for a film.
- Also, it is now only 68 days till Iron Man 3, which gives me ALL THE FEELINGS. Okay?
Post-script:
OMG, I AM WATCHING THIS ON SKY MOVIES, AND WE DO HAVE THE SCHWARMA SCENE. IT’S ACTUALLY THERE. IT’S NOT ON THE FUCKING DVD, BUT IT IS ON MY TELEVISION. YAY!!!!!!!
Tags: