I was really hoping to have part one done by [livejournal.com profile] kohl_rimmed_eye's birthday, so yay!! Just in time!!

Fandom: The Avengers
Subject: All the Pairings
Title: Epic Avengers Pairings Fanmix
Warnings: ALL THE FEELINGS.
Notes:I’m going to start off with ten ‘basic’ ships. These ones are either actual movie canon or pretty much as good as. They’ll probably get crazier and less canon-based as they go on, and will probably end with couples who have never even been in the same movie, let alone shared screen time. Because that’s how I roll. :)



1. Tony/Pepper – “Cannonball” – Damian Rice

Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth / Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt / Still a little hard to say what's going on / Still a little bit of your ghost your witness / Still a little piece of your face I haven't kissed/ You step a little closer to me / Still I can't see what's going on / Stones taught me to fly / Love taught me to lie / Life taught me to die / So it's not hard to fall / When you float like a cannonball

I have so many, many Tony feelings. Depending on the canon you follow, Tony was anything from neglected to out and out abused as a kid. His concepts of love and relationships are understandably skewed. His most committed connections are with robots. Then there’s Pepper. He loves her. She loves him. That’s not even in question. It’s not conventional, but it is heartfelt.
I see this song as Tony coming to terms with that. It’s okay for him to let someone else into his heart. She won’t hurt him.


2. Bruce/Betty – “Go The Distance” – Michael Bolton

Down an unknown road, to embrace my fate / Though that road may wander, it will lead me to you / And a thousand years, would be worth the wait / It might take a lifetime, but somehow I’ll see it through / And I won’t look back, I can go the distance / And I’ll stay on track, no, I won’t accept defeat / It’s an uphill slope, but I won’t lose hope / Till I go the distance, and my journey is complete / But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part / For a hero’s strength is measured by his heart / Like a shooting star, I will go the distance / I will search the world, I will face its harms / I don’t care how far, I can go the distance / Till I find my hero’s welcome, waiting in your arms

I was considering this as a Team song, but after listening to the lyrics over and over and over again, it’s totally Bruce and Betty. They’re probably one of the most interesting canon pairings in the Marvel Movieverse. Unlike Tony/Pepper and Steve/Peggy, there is a genuine and legitimate reason why they can’t (and, at least in The Incredible Hulk, shouldn’t) be together – the Hulk. So Bruce leaves. He runs away and puts as much distance as he can between them. But I truly believe that he never thought that that was the be all and end all – that he’d keep running and never come back. He was teaching himself how to deal with ‘the Other Guy’.
I have this adorable little image of him lying in his bed, in the middle of nowhere, dreaming of a day when he can go back to Betty, totally in control of the Other Guy, and be her hero. (And yes, I totally hope that Betty’s going to turn up again, and the three of them will live happily ever after.)


3. Thor/Jane – “Looking Through Your Eyes” – Leanne Rimes

Look at the skies, tell me what do you see? / Just close your eyes and describe it to me / The heavens are sparkling with star light tonight / That’s what I see through your eyes / I see the heavens each time that you smile / I hear your heartbeat just go on for miles / And suddenly I know my life is worthwhile / That’s what I see through your eyes

I find it really funny that they may have met when she hit him with her truck, but they ended up as my absolute favourite pairing in the whole Marvel Movieverse. Yup, that’s right. I may ship over 50 pairings, 6 of which are Thor with other people, and another 2 are Jane with other people, but they are still my OTP. I love couples who make each other better, and that’s totally them. In the very short time they’re together, she helps him break into a military facility and he rescues her notebook, they teach each other things, they tell stories, they cook together. Then he saves the town, sort of dies in her arms, wakes up, and goes off to another planet. But she doesn’t just wait for him to come back, she searches. :)
So choosing a song for them was actually really hard. I toyed with half a dozen options, but I’m always pickiest when it comes to my favourites. Then I thought of my favourite Thor/Jane scene – the one where they’re on the roof at night, and Thor is teaching her about the Nine Realms. They’re looking up at the stars and Thor is basically confirming that all Jane’s ideas, all the things she’s been ridiculed about, are true. Because, yeah, that’s totally when she fell in love with him. Before then, it was just healthy lust and fascination, but that’s when it became completely, head-over-heels, soulmates in love. Okay?


4. Steve/Peggy – “People Will Say We’re In Love” – Frank Sinatra

Don't start collecting things, give me my rose and my glove, / Sweetheart, they're suspecting things, people will say we're in love. / Don't praise my charm too much, don't look so vain with me, / Don't stand in the rain with me, people will say we're in love. / Don't take my arm too much, don't keep your hand in mine, / Your hand feels so grand in mine, people will say we're in love. / Don't dance all night with me, till the stars fade out of sight, / They'll see it's all right with me, people will say we're in love.

Before I get on to their relationship, I have to say that this song choice was the one that had the most ‘rules’ attached to it. It had to be from the early 40s, it had to be a little sad, and it had to be something you could slow dance to. And this song fits perfectly. I have serious headcanon of Peggy sitting in the Stork Club at eight pm on that Saturday, listening to this song, and wishing beyond any sense of logic that Steve would walk through the door. It’s even from 1943, which is the year Steve ‘died’.
Peggy and Steve are the most distressing of all the Avengers pairings. Right from the beginning, you could tell there was something there. Even before the serum, Peggy saw the strength of Steve’s heart, and you can’t doubt that Steve was infatuated with Peggy’s spirit. But things kept getting in the way, and then he was gone. And then she was. And they BREAK MY FREAKING HEART. So they get a song that makes me cry. Okay?


5. Clint/Natasha – “Run To Me” – Nick Lachey

When I was lost, / Hanging on by a thread. / I knew I could run to you, / To find myself again. / I'm holding on for you,/ I'm fighting for your life. / And when you're blinded by this jaded world, / I'll be your eyes. / And even when you fall, / I won't let you break. / When all the noise is telling you / To run away, / Run to me.

I have so much headcanon about these two that it’s not even funny. A lot of it is conflicting, which is rare for me. In my head, they’re flawless exes and secretly married and friends with benefits and purely bros and partners who occasionally fuck just to release the tension and a hundred other things, But that’s how these two are. They’re conflict. They’re secrets and aliases and alibis. However, they’re also consistent. They’re each other’s port in a storm. They trust each other implicitly and explicitly, and trust is a rare commodity in their lives.
So yeah, I picked this song. It’s all about strength and trust and having a safe place to go when the world goes to shit. It’s them.


6. Loki/Sif – “I Just Want You To Love Me” – Darren Hayes

I don't want someone telling me what to do/ I don't wanna find out my temper grew wings / And flew to you / Don't want somebody telling me what's not right / But I just want you to love me / Oh I just want you to love me / I don't wanna have to lie ‘bout what's inside / When there's always been a tiny part of me / I'm trying to hide / I don't wanna see your expression when I let you down / And I just want you to love me / Oh I just want you to love me / There's a haiku poem inside of my head / But the words are written in invisible ink

So, a couple of months ago, I saw a Loki/Sif vid, set to “El Tango De Roxanne” from Moulin Rouge, and dear lord, the pairing hit me like a truckload of bricks. In my headcanon, it’s pretty much entirely one-sided. Loki, bless him, fancies the lovely armoured panties off the gorgeous shield maiden, but (at least up until the events of Thor) she regards him as a cute but pesky little brother. Then the whole Exiled Thor and King Loki thing happens, and, yeah, she doesn’t so much warm up to him as realise he’s a total psychopath, but hey, he thinks, at least she isn’t laughing at him anymore, and he could really get used to this bowing thing.
But mostly, he wants her to love him. He wants someone to love him the way EVERYONE loves Thor.
(Plus, I’m sorry, but Darren Hayes is totally Loki’s favourite singer. At some point, I’m going to make a playlist of all the Darren Hayes songs that Loki totally listens to and thinks were written about him.)


7. Clint/Coulson – “The Way You Look At Me” – Christian Bautista

No one ever saw me like you do / All the things that I could add up to / I never knew just what a smile was worth / But your eyes say everything without a single word / ‘Cause there’s something in the way you look at me / It’s as if my heart knows you’re the missing piece / You make me believe that’s there’s nothing / In this world I can’t be / I never know what you see / But there’s something in the way you look at me

So I was going to gush about how Clint and Coulson are perfect for each other, but I’m just going to link you to a fic. It’s not long, only a little over 1200 words, but still – it explains way better than I can. So go here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/430126
In my headcanon, Coulson the first person to ‘wrangle’ Clint, the one who turns him from a troublesome prodigy into the slick, exceptional agent he becomes. Coulson is the one who Clint goes to when he decides to recruit the Black Widow instead of terminating her, not just because he’s his handler, but also because he knows that Coulson is the only one who will understand.
Coulson is kinda famous in fandom for his poker face. The guy doesn’t show emotion in any conventional way, but in my headcanon, he has this special look just for Clint. That “I can’t believe how much I love you” smile. He doesn’t show it all that often, but it’s beautiful.


8. Tony/Bruce – “Everything” – Alanis Morrisette

I'm terrified and mistrusting / And you’ve never met anyone as, / As closed down as I am sometimes. / You see everything, you see every part / You see all my light and you love my dark / You dig everything of which I'm ashamed / There's not anything to which you can’t relate / And you’re still here / What I resist, persist, and speaks louder than I know / What I resist, you love, no matter how low or high I go

Firstly, SCIENCE BROS FOREVER. Saying that, these two run so much deeper… The interaction between Tony and Bruce was one of my absolute favourite parts of The Avengers. It’s rare for Tony to appreciate another person on such an all-encompassing level. He admires Bruce’s brain and composure, and he understands the pressure and pain of having something inside you that you have to control. He’s the first person to really understand that the world in general, and Bruce in particular, don’t have to be afraid of the Other Guy, they need him. There are three moments which, I think, really encompass why I love Tony/Bruce.
First, Tony’s offer of Stark Tower’s R & D department. It’s a quick way to show how much he trusts Bruce – letting him into his house to play with his toys. He gets that the scientist is just as important as the killing machine.
Second, the moment when Bruce reveals that he tried to commit suicide. If you watch the clip, look at everyone’s reactions. Most of them, Steve in particular, are shocked, and a little pitiful. Tony? Tony looks devastated. It’s the look of a guy who knows what it’s like to want to destroy himself
Third, Tony knows that Bruce is going to turn up to the Battle of Manhattan, and he does, and that’s the first time we see Bruce turn into the Other Guy because he wants to. It’s a serious moment of character development for him, and Tony knows it’s going to happen, even if Steve doubts him.
So, for their song, I wanted to pick something that reflected the way Tony appreciates all the facets of Bruce – both the good and the bad. And this fits. This fits so well. (If you change the female to male, obviously.)


9. Natasha/Pepper – “The Bullpen” - Dessa

Forget the bull in the china shop / There's a china doll in the bullpen / Walk with a switch, fire in her fist / Biting at the bit / Swing at every pitch / Coach put me in like… / It's been assumed I'm soft or irrelevant / Cause I refuse to down play my intelligence / But in a room of thugs and rap veterans / Why am I the only one / Who's acting like a gentleman / Good form bad taste / Pity what a waste / All that style, not a thing to say / Looks to me like / A little of your true school / Is at the shallow end of the typing pool / All cloak, no dagger / Just smoke and swagger / I hope that your battery's charged / Cause I found this here ladder / Now your ceilings don't matter / Check me out, / Now I got glass floors

I will admit, I didn’t really ‘get’ this ship when I first saw all the fic for it. Sure, I saw the attraction (and the way that it left Tony free and clear for Steve, which seemed to be the main idea in most of the fics), but then I re-watched Iron Man 2, and totally fell in love. They are the epitome of awesome ass-kicking ladies, and at one point, they wear MATCHING DRESSES. Also, when Justin Hammer insults Pepper, Natasha gets all angry, which is awesome.
This song was also kinda hard. In my head, they’re kick-ass professionals who occasionally give each other orgasms in the name of girl power. And, um, that’s not a genre that often gets sung about (at least that I can find). So I decided to go for a song that I already love for Natasha, and also works completely awesomely for Pepper. So yeah, there’s two china dolls in the bullpen.


10. Tony/Steve – “Let You Down” – Three Days Grace

You may be full of fear / But you’ll be safe here / When you finally trust me / Finally believe in me / I will let you down / I’ll let you down, I’ll / When you finally trust me / Finally believe in me / Trust me / I’ll be there when you need me / You’ll be safe here / When you finally trust me / Finally believe in me / I will let you down / I’ll let you down, I’ll / When you finally trust me / Finally believe in me

It seems to me that there are two schools of thought when it comes to Tony/Steve. Either you go for the “Super Husbands” thing, where they’re adorable and complement each other perfectly, and raise delightful kids together. Or, you go for the “Constantly on a knife edge” thing, where they argue all the time, and though they love each other really, there’s always the chance that they might actually explode and take out a reasonable sized city block.
I’m guessing you can tell from my song choice which side of the divide I fall on. I love reading “Super Husbands” fic, but there are issues there. Big issues. They each have major baggage on both the romance and general life fronts, and they’re both the most alpha of males. Plus, the history. Steve has history with Tony’s dad, and it’s my personal headcanon that Tony grew up with seriously conflicting feelings on the subject of Captain America.
So yeah, I was thinking that this was Tony’s side of the story, but I can actually see Steve thinking this too. The poor boy saved the world and then woke up 70 years later. He probably has serious abandonment issues, and I can completely see him not trusting himself enough to believe that that won’t happen again.

Zip here: http://www.mediafire.com/?tspq3dy54he3sp9

.

Profile

faith_less_one: (Default)
faith_less_one

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags